May is Celiac Awareness Month! Celiac Disease Awareness is represented by the color green! How do you normally celebrate? One of my favorite things to do is support local, gluten free restaurants in my area. I also wanted to share some amazing resources below provided by Beyond Celiac at https://www.beyondceliac.org/, that you can share with friends and family! First, I have a couple of fast facts to share about celiac disease.
- Celiac disease is an autoimmune disease that damages the villi of the small intestine and affects the absorption of vitamins, minerals, and nutrients from food.
- It’s estimated that about 1% of the population, or about 1 in 133 Americans, has celiac disease.
- It’s also estimated that about 83% of Americans who have celiac disease are currently undiagnosed or have been misdiagnosed with other health conditions.
- 5-22% of people with celiac disease have an immediate family member who also has celiac disease.
- There are over 300 symptoms of celiac disease.
- The only existing treatment for celiac disease is a 100% gluten free diet.
Here is a PSA video provided by Beyond Celiac: https://youtu.be/wEclPLc70PE
Also, this is Beyond Celiac’s “Seriously, Celiac Disease” video: https://youtu.be/o_-8uZzpyUA
Here are some informative infographics provided by Beyond Celiac:
At the following link, you can also sign up for the Virtual Step Beyond Celiac 5K: https://runsignup.com/Race/PA/Virtual/SBC5KV?remMeAttempt=, which will take place from Friday, May 1st through Sunday, May 31st, 2020.
Every day, improvements are being made in the research field to find a cure for celiac disease! It’s important to always advocate for yourself and help spread awareness of celiac disease!
This year, during these uncertain times, celiac disease patients are united in sharing messages of solidarity, health and, most importantly, hope. We hope for future treatments and a cure. We hope for a future where we can live and eat without fear. We hope for a day when the uncertainties of today are far behind us.”Beyond Celiac